Försäkringskassan's logo
Log in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Introduction to the Swedish social insurance and Försäkringskassan

This is a brief introduction to the Swedish social security system that tells you what Försäkringskassan is and what you need to consider if you apply for compensation from us.

In Sweden we have a publicly funded social insurance that will provide financial security during the different stages of life. Swedish social insurance includes insurance and contributions to families with children, to people with a disability or illness, and to the elderly. Social insurance is financed by taxes and contributions.

What is Försäkringskassan?

Försäkringskassan is a government agency that administers social insurance. This means that we investigate whether people are entitled to compensation from us and if so, pay it out. For example, we pay compensation to families with children, people who are sick and people with disabilities.

However, Försäkringskassan does not pay out old-age pension. The Swedish Pensions Agency does this.

The Swedish Pensions Agency (pensionsmyndigheten.se)external link, opens in new window

Who can receive compensation from Försäkringskassan?

To receive compensation from Försäkringskassan, you must be insured in Sweden. It is we at Försäkringskassan that investigate and decide if you are. Some benefits can be obtained if you live in Sweden while others require that you work here. Information on who is insured in Sweden and that this means can be found on the page Insured in Sweden.

Insured in Sweden

If you come to Sweden from a country outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you need a residence permit from the Swedish Migration Agency in order to receive compensation from Försäkringskassan.

The Swedish Migration Agency (migrationsverket.se)external link, opens in new window

All social insurance benefits are subject to preliminary tax deductions which are made prior to payment.

Taxation of social benefits

What is the difference between Försäkringskassan and a private insurance company?

With a private insurance company, you must pay money to be insured. For example, you can pay to insure your home or your car. With Försäkringskassan, you are insured by living or working in Sweden. The money for social insurance comes from the state through taxes and contributions. The majority comes from social security contributions paid by employers. If you are self-employed, you also pay social security contributions.

How do I apply for compensation from Försäkringskassan?

You can apply for most of the benefits from Försäkringskassan digitally if you log in to My pages with a Swedish e-ID. There are also forms to fill out if you are unable to use My Pages.

On the Move to Sweden page, we have gathered information for those who have moved here or are thinking of doing so.

Moving to Sweden

On the Work in Sweden page we have gathered information for those who are going to work here.

Working in Sweden

When you apply for compensation

You must meet certain requirements in order to receive compensation from Försäkringskassan. Therefore, when you apply for compensation, you should provide us with information about your situation. For certain benefits, you must also submit documents proving that you are entitled to the compensation you are applying for. It may be a medical certificate if you are sick or a copy of your rental contract if you apply for housing allowance. Once we have received your application, we will investigate whether you are entitled to compensation and send our decision to you.

Information is available on the conditions for each compensation.


Job seeker




When you apply for compensation from Försäkringskassan we will investigate whether you are insured in Sweden.

Insured in Sweden

Sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI)

If you have applied for a compensation based on you working here, such as sickness benefit or parental allowance, we will investigate whether you are entitled to what we call SGI. In your application, you must provide information about your annual income. Based on that, we will calculate your SGI. It affects how much compensation you can get from us.

Sickness benefit qualifying income

In connection with your application, we may need information from your employer to prove that you are an employee and that your income information is correct. Once we have received your application, we will notify you if your employer needs to send us information.

If you are engaged in business activities in Sweden as a self-employed person, we can obtain information from, for example, the Swedish Companies Registration Office or the Swedish Tax Agency. We may also need to get other information from you. Once we have received your application, we will notify you if you need to send us information.

Signature on your word of honour

When you send your application to us, please tick a box to certify that you are providing the information on your word of honour. This means that you certify that all information is accurate and complete.

We sometimes check the information in your application before payment. When we pay a longer-term compensation, we also carry out some checks to see if the information is still accurate. We check to ensure that you are receiving the right compensation.

When we have received your application

We will investigate your application and make a decision. The processing time varies between the compensations. On the processing times and disbursement dates page you will find information on how long it usually takes to process an application for a particular compensation.

Special disbursement dates and processing times

If it has been more than six months since you applied, you can send a letter Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund and demand that we make a decision about compensation. We then have four weeks to do that. Also provide your name, personal identity number, address and phone number in the letter. Also write what compensation it pertains to.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with Försäkringskassan’s decision?

You can request that we reconsider a decision if you are not satisfied with it. Read more on the page If you are not satisfied with the decision.

If you are not satisfied with the decision

Report changes

You must notify us if the information you have provided in an application changes, as this may affect what compensation you are entitled to. If you discover that you received too much compensation, you can report this on My pages (Mina sidor) or phone 0771-524 524.

You may need to pay money back if you do not notify us of changes and therefore receive too much compensation. If we suspect that you have intentionally provided the wrong information or not notified changes and therefore received compensation to which you are not entitled, we will investigate it as a benefit violation. That could lead to a police report.

What happens if I need to pay back?

You may need to pay back money to us if you have received compensation to which you are not entitled. This applies regardless of whether it is us or you yourself who caused the incorrect disbursement.

If you have to pay back money

Can I get help to apply for compensation?

Yes. You can information about the different forms of compensation here on our website. The information is available in Swedish and English. You apply on My pages (Mina sidor). The information there is only available in Swedish.

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=%2Fwps%2Fmyportal%2Fprivatpers%2Fminasidor","login":true,"text":"My pages (in Swedish)"}

If you need help to find information about what types of compensations you may be entitled to and how to apply, you can

  • visit a service office
  • talk to an administrator in your language, for example English, Arabic, Tigrinya, Somali, Turkish, French, Spanish or German
  • ask questions and get answers on our customer forum in English, Spanish, Finnish or Polish.

Contact us

Information in other languages

If you suspect incorrect payments or benefit violations

You can report it to Försäkringskassan if you suspect that a person or company is receiving compensation that they are not entitled to. We go through all the cases that are submitted to us. By reporting suspected errors, you help us in our work against incorrect payments.

Försäkringskassan is legally obligated to report to the police all suspected benefit violations.

When a person receives compensation to which they are not entitled, it is usually due to one of the following things:

  • That we have received incorrect information together with the application for compensation.
  • That we have not been informed that the circumstances changed during the period that the person received compensation.

Report via our e-service

If you want to file a report, you can remain anonymous.

Submit tips on incorrect payments or benefit violations (in Swedish)

By using our e-service, you will receive questions that are adapted to what you want to report. The questions are also adapted to provide us with the information we need to conduct our investigation. You can also attach documentation, such as social media excerpts or employer's certificates, to prove your information.

Due to rules on confidentiality, Försäkringskassan cannot provide feedback on how submitted tips are processed.

Your personal data

Försäkringskassan handles large amount of personal data. There are laws and rules on how we are allowed to process the data. These regulations are in place to protect your personal data so that your privacy is not violated. Here you can read about what personal data are, how we process them, laws and regulations, and your rights.

Your personal data

Last updated: